Click here to see current schedules and forms.
About the Building Apprenticeship:
A Building Iron Worker Apprentice will learn the skills of the trade through 4 years of on the job learning and apprenticeship school. Architectural Iron Workers perform field fabrication & Installation of: window walls, glass & metal rails, curtain walls, storefronts, glass & metal doors, door hardware, stairs, scaffolds, fire escapes, canopies, skylights & vault doors and adjacent supports. To see our training in action, CLICK HERE
- Must be able to lift heavy objects
- Work at elevated heights Training
- Pay attention to detail
- Must have a good work ethic and positive attitude
- Hard working and motivated
- Recommended Preparatory Classes
- Any Shop Classes
- Mathematics classes
- Work Experience (Helpful but not necessary for acceptance)
- Familiarity with any type of construction
Architectural Iron Workers work in all types of weather conditions and at various heights
Length of Apprenticeship
- Four (4) years – Minimum of 5,600 – 8,000 hours of on-the-job training
- Apprentices attend school Twenty-Three (23) hours a month from September – May, on set evenings and weekends schedules tbd and announced annually. (Sample schedule here)
- Apprentices work five days a week receiving on-the-job training.
- 1st year 50% of journeyman’s wage
- 2nd year 60% of journeyman’s wage
- 3rd year 80% of journeyman’s wage
- 4th year 90% of journeyman’s wage
- Journey Level 100% of journeyman’s wage
- As of June 2022 the Average Journeyman’s wage rate is $52/Hr.
- Health & Welfare
- Pension & Annuity
Can I get college credits for completing my apprenticeship?
YES! College credit is available for completion of local 63 apprenticeship.
Contact Ivy Tech’s Teresa Hess (email@example.com) for more information. Be prepared to provide a copy of your Apprenticeship Completion Certificate from the Ironworkers International or the Department of Labor.
CLICK HERE if you are interested in Becoming a Building Apprentice!
Current Building Apprentice Schedules
See APP for Absent / Late Form